BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, May 4, 2012

What a funny thing time is. I have spent the past four years of my life as a college student at Utah State University. I would have never imagined all the things that came into my life as a result of this decision. Even though I have been packing for a week, the emotions of change did not hit me until today, sitting in the computer lab killing time before my last final. I realize now in three months I won't be coming back. I would like a moment to just re-live a little bit the adventures I have had. 1. Roommates- yes, roommates in and of themselves are an adventure. I have had 34 different roommates over 4 years and they have been a learning experience to say the least. If you need to develop some better people skills, go live in an apartment with 7 other people. That'll do the trick! 2. Australia - I know I talk about that a lot, but I would have probably never gone if it hadn't been for my decision to first come to USU. The list of things that experience gave me is endless (I won't bore you), but I am who I am today because of that. 3. Working in the Fish lab - For two years I worked in the fish ecology lab on campus, mostly counting zooplankton. That may sounds like the most horrifyingly tedious task to most all of you, but I truly came to enjoy my time with a microscope, and clicking my counter to the beat of whatever music I was listening. I am sure it annoyed the hell out of the other technicians. Through the lab I worked in northern Oregon last summer. I was beat up by my pack and the trail, only to be further humbled by the river every day. I wouldn't change it for the world. Rivers hold a new love for me all because of that job. I also became great friends with many people and professors in my time with the lab. As the months went on my boss continued to think up ridiculous names to call me in emails including: nerd, coot, and dork. Only coming from him would I take those as compliments. 4. Classes - Yes, all of us in college have taken great classes. We all have professors we love, and classes that changed our lives. But I believe that my major contains the greatest classes any one could take. The diversity of information we had to know (actually KNOW) was staggering. I took chemistry, physics, biology, statistics, algebra, calculus, aquatic invertebrate identification, hydrology, oceanography, fish ecology, fish diversity, GIS (mapping) and limnology(the study of freshwater lakes and stream) just to name a few. For my soul I took african dance, jazz band, symphony orchestra, and lap swimming. There was never a semester I wasn't taking at least 17 credits, and there was never a semester that I wasn't happy doing so. No, I am not graduating with a 4.0, but I am graduating with a love for my field, a love for people, and also a bit of knowledge. Now that this time is over, it's incredible to think that these four years will carry me through the rest of my life essentially. The one decision I made to go to college will govern the experiences I have from now on. Thank you USU for what you have given me. If you are debating attending college, GO!!! Find what makes you tick, find what you love. It doesn't matter if you are 18, or 28. There is a place for you at a university, and you can find it.

0 comments: